Where the FCA motor finance scheme stands today
Written by, Mark Henry on May 17, 2026
Where the FCA motor finance scheme stands today
In short: As of May 2026, the FCA motor finance redress scheme is on pause under four legal challenges confirmed on 1 May and 8 May 2026. The FCA expects hearings unlikely before October 2026, with a possible court decision around mid-November 2026. No broad scheme payouts are flowing yet. You can still complain free direct to your lender, escalate free to the Financial Ombudsman Service, or register with Total Claim so your paperwork is ready when the gate opens.
At a glance
- Final scheme rules issued 30 March 2026 (FCA Policy Statement PS26/3).
- Scheme covers agreements taken out between 6 April 2007 and 1 November 2024 where commission or a lender tie applies.
- ~12.1 million eligible agreements; ~£7.5 billion estimated total redress; ~£830 FCA-estimate average per agreement (FCA estimate, not a Total Claim guarantee; individual outcomes vary).
- Four legal challenges confirmed in May 2026 — three from motor-finance lenders, one from a consumer body. Possible court decision around mid-November 2026 (FCA-stated estimate).
- Lender preparation deadlines: 30 June 2026 (post-2014 agreements) and 31 August 2026 (earlier agreements) — both subject to the legal challenge timetable.
- No broad scheme payouts are flowing yet.
- You can complain free direct to your lender, or escalate to the Financial Ombudsman Service for free.
This page is the dated status reference. For background on what the scheme is and how it was designed, see our FCA motor finance redress scheme explainer.
The scheme in two sentences
The FCA has built an industry-wide compensation framework that requires motor-finance lenders to identify customers harmed by undisclosed commission and lender-tie arrangements, and pay redress without each customer having to fight individually. It is the closest equivalent the UK has seen since the PPI scheme that ran from 2011 to 2019.
As of May 2026 — the current status
The headline is straightforward: the scheme has been built, but its start has been paused while four legal challenges are heard.
The FCA published its final policy statement, PS26/3, on 30 March 2026 — confirming scope, methodology, redress calculation, and the lender implementation timetable. On 1 May 2026 the regulator confirmed that legal challenges had been filed. On 8 May 2026 the FCA published a follow-up statement setting out what it expects firms to do while the challenges are heard. The substance of that statement: keep preparing, but the original communication timetable to customers is no longer being enforced. The FCA has said it will be pragmatic about contact with claimants until the Tribunal timetable is clearer.
In practical terms that means three things. First, lenders are continuing to gather the data needed to run the scheme — commission records, agreement files, complainant lists. Second, lenders are not required to write to customers on the originally published timetable; the FCA has explicitly relaxed that obligation. Third, the eight-week clock that normally forces a UK lender to respond to a financial complaint is effectively in abeyance for in-scope motor-finance complaints — which is why so many claimants are sitting on identical 28-day holding emails right now rather than substantive responses.
The redress framework itself is intact. What is paused is the start of the payout phase.
The four May 2026 legal challenges
Four separate challenges to the scheme were confirmed in early May 2026. The FCA has said it will defend the scheme robustly. The challengers fall into two camps.
Lender challenges (three). Three motor-finance lenders have asked the Upper Tribunal to set aside or modify the scheme:
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services — challenging the scheme rules as unlawful in their application to its agreements.
- Volkswagen Financial Services — running a parallel challenge on the lawfulness of the scheme.
- CA Auto Finance (the UK arm of Crédit Agricole Auto Finance) — the third lender challenger, with similar grounds.
Each of these is, in effect, an argument that the FCA has gone too far — that the scheme as built imposes obligations the regulator does not have authority to impose, or that the redress methodology over-corrects.
Consumer challenge (one).
- Consumer Voice, a consumer advocacy body, is challenging the scheme on the opposite ground — that it is unduly favourable to lenders and that the methodology under-compensates affected motorists. Consumer Voice has said its concerns include the scheme’s treatment of agreements it believes are eligible but were excluded.
The FCA’s own framing is that the diversity of challenges — three lenders pulling the methodology one way, a consumer body pulling it the other — is, in itself, evidence the regulator has landed on a defensible middle line. That is the position the FCA intends to take to court. The Tribunal will decide.
The dates that matter
| Date | What | Status |
|---|---|---|
| 30 March 2026 | FCA final scheme rules published (PS26/3) | Published |
| 1 May 2026 | Legal challenges confirmed; FCA statement issued | Active |
| 8 May 2026 | FCA expectations update for firms during the challenge | Published |
| 12 May 2026 | Firm implementation plans due (without formal attestation) | Passed |
| 30 June 2026 | Lender preparation deadline — post-2014 agreements | Subject to challenge |
| 31 August 2026 | Lender preparation deadline — pre-2014 agreements | Subject to challenge |
| Unlikely before October 2026 | Tribunal hearings | FCA estimate |
| mid-November 2026 | Possible court decision (precautionary planning date) | FCA estimate |
All of the dates from June 2026 onwards are conditional on what the Tribunal decides. The FCA has been explicit that those dates may move, and firms should plan on a precautionary basis rather than treating them as fixed.
What this means if you’ve already complained
If you’ve already written to your lender and received what looks like a holding response, the picture is calmer than it feels.
The most common pattern right now is a sequence of four identical emails at about 28-day intervals explaining that the lender is busy and will come back to the claimant. A second common pattern is a single letter that’s hard to parse — claimants reasonably ask whether it amounts to a point blank refusal or simply a delay.
The plain answer in both cases: most holding patterns right now are an industry-wide regulatory pause, not a lender refusal and not a CMC failure. The reason the eight-week response clock hasn’t given you a decision is that the FCA has paused the obligation on lenders to respond on the substance while the scheme implementation is litigated. The eight-week window starts ticking again properly once the FCA reinstates the standard timetable, which itself depends on the Tribunal outcome.
If you have used Total Claim or another regulated CMC, your case is on file, your Letter of Authority is in place, and you are in the queue. None of that work has been wasted. If you’ve gone direct to the lender, your complaint is logged and the date you complained matters — the FCA has said that people who complained before the relevant implementation period ends should, under the final rules, be compensated sooner if they’re owed redress.
For more on realistic timelines, see how long a PCP claim takes in 2026.
What this means if you haven’t started yet
You have three legitimate routes today. None of them costs money up front. They differ in effort and in what happens at the end.
Free direct-to-lender complaint. The FCA’s recommended first step. You write to your lender setting out your concerns about undisclosed commission or lender-tie arrangements on your motor-finance agreement; the lender investigates and responds. The FCA’s disclosure rules require any CMC, including Total Claim, to tell you this option exists. It is free and you keep any compensation in full.
Financial Ombudsman Service escalation. If you complain to the lender and aren’t satisfied with the response, you can refer the case to the Financial Ombudsman Service for free. The FOS is a statutory body that investigates and rules on consumer-finance complaints independently. Use this route after the lender response window has closed.
CMC route (Total Claim or another regulated firm). You authorise a regulated CMC to run the complaint and any subsequent escalation on your behalf. There is no upfront cost. On a successful outcome, Chase Monro Claims Ltd charges a success fee of 18% to 36% (including VAT) of the recovered amount, deducted from the settlement. There is a 14-day statutory cooling-off period with free cancellation. After the cooling-off, work continued by request may be charged hourly per the Terms of Business.
For a full side-by-side on these routes, see our wait or claim now decision guide.
Why “register now, wait for the gate to open” is the honest framing
The phrase that gets thrown around CMC marketing — register now or miss out — is not how we’d frame this. There is no hidden deadline today that disadvantages a claimant who registers in July versus May. The honest version is quieter.
When the FCA scheme unblocks — whether that’s a Tribunal decision in November 2026, an amended scheme afterwards, or the resumption of the standard eight-week response window — millions of complaints will move at once. Lenders will process the ones in front of them first. The value of registering now is functional, not promotional:
- Your soft credit search is complete, so every PCP and HP agreement you’ve ever had — including ones you’ve forgotten — is identified before the rush. No impact on your credit score; no footprint visible to other lenders.
- Your Letter of Authority is in place, so we can act with each lender the moment the lender’s response window starts ticking on the substance.
- Your complaint pack is ready and on record with the date you first complained, which under the FCA’s rules matters for the order in which lenders work through their backlogs.
- Your paperwork burden is done while there’s no time pressure — not in a panic the week after a court decision lands.
The cheque, if there is one, comes when the FCA scheme unblocks or the lender response window reopens. The work happens now. That is the honest trade. If you’d rather do the same prep yourself, free, by writing to your lender directly, the FCA’s view — and ours — is that you should.
Start your free eligibility check →
For a detailed view of how to think about the timing trade-off, our guide on whether to wait for the FCA or claim now covers the three questions that actually decide it.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need to do anything further, or do I just wait?
You don’t have to do anything today, but waiting passively isn’t the only option. You can complain free direct to your lender, escalate free to the Financial Ombudsman Service if you’re unhappy with the response, or register with Total Claim so your paperwork and soft credit search are complete the moment the scheme unblocks. Registering doesn’t prejudice the FCA scheme — it positions you in the queue.
My lender keeps sending the same 28-day email — should I be worried?
Almost certainly not. The standard eight-week response clock that lenders are required to meet has been overridden while the FCA scheme is on pause. Identical holding emails at roughly 28-day intervals are the industry pattern right now and reflect the regulatory pause, not a refusal of your complaint. The eight-week window starts properly ticking again once the FCA pause lifts and your lender is required to respond on the substance.
How much will I actually get?
The FCA estimates average redress of around £830 per eligible agreement under its March 2026 final rules. This is an FCA estimate, not a Total Claim figure, and individual outcomes vary. Some agreements pay more, some less, and some don’t qualify. We unpack the maths in our £830 explainer. No broad scheme payouts are flowing yet.
Will the scheme actually happen?
The FCA’s position is that it will defend the scheme robustly and that lenders should keep preparing. Four legal challenges were confirmed in May 2026 — three from lenders arguing the scheme is unlawful, and one from a consumer body arguing it doesn’t go far enough. The FCA expects hearings unlikely before October 2026 and has told firms to prepare on a precautionary basis for a possible court decision around mid-November 2026. The scheme could still proceed, be amended, or be partly suspended depending on the outcome.
Can I claim if I’ve already paid off the car?
Yes. The FCA scheme covers eligible agreements taken out between 6 April 2007 and 1 November 2024 regardless of whether the agreement is still live, has been settled, or the car has been sold. Eligibility depends on the commission or lender-tie arrangement on the agreement, not on whether you still own the vehicle.
What changed recently
This page is refreshed monthly. The version log below tracks substantive changes — new FCA publications, Tribunal procedural movements, lender-side announcements that change the picture for claimants.
- 17 May 2026 — Initial publication. Reflects FCA PS26/3 (30 March 2026), the 1 May and 8 May 2026 FCA statements on legal challenges, and four confirmed challenges (Mercedes-Benz Financial Services, Volkswagen Financial Services, CA Auto Finance, Consumer Voice).
- Pending mid-June 2026 — next scheduled review. Will track any procedural updates from the Upper Tribunal and any FCA follow-up statements on firm expectations.
- Pending mid-July 2026 — next scheduled review.
Next review: mid-June 2026.
The eligibility check is free. You can complain free of charge by contacting your lender directly, or refer an unsuccessful complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service for free. On a successful claim, Chase Monro Claims Ltd charges a success fee of 18% to 36% (including VAT), deducted from the recovered amount. There is a 14-day statutory cooling-off period with free cancellation; after the cooling-off, work continued by request may be charged hourly per your Terms of Business. Chase Monro Claims Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for regulated claims management activities, FCA Firm Reference Number 831404; registered in England and Wales, Companies House 08314551. The ~£830 figure cited in this article is the FCA’s rounded scheme-wide average redress estimate under its March 2026 final motor finance redress scheme rules — it is not a Total Claim guarantee, not a current Total Claim payout average, and individual outcomes vary. No outcome is guaranteed. Last updated: 17 May 2026.